Thursday, November 10, 2011

tiger nuts ~ horchata

What are my chances of tracking down an organic source for tiger nuts? 



http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/11/valencia-spain-how-horchata-is-made-at-the-mon-orxata-factory-alboraya.html
horchata

Horchata is a delicious, ethereal beverage that I first experienced in a small Mexican cafe in downtown Los Angeles with my dad and sister. My sister and I were resistant to milk drinking but this beverage was different, it was the best tasting milk we'd ever tried. Years later I learned that horchata is traditionally made with tiger nuts... some type of tree nut however I have found recipes calling for rice instead of tiger nuts. I will definitely try to recreate one fine L.A memory and make my own batch of warm, spiced horchata soon.

I see similarities between the tiger nut and the peanut since they both grow underground... and because the tiger nut is more of a "sedge", it may be similar to rice as well... stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment