Tuesday, November 8, 2011

pumpkin nut gut milk/peanut pulp baked treats!

I had to carve open one of my homegrown pumpkins to bake up some pumpkin pie samples for Greene Treats. I finally am able to satisfy my craving for the first homebrewed nut milk that I enjoyed at my friend's in Portland, Oregon....pumpkin gut milk!!!
the process
the squeeze
the delicious and beautiful final product! pumpkin guts and seeds milk!
Sweeten pumpkin milk with sugar, agave nectar, maple syrup, or honey and spice with cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. Sip happily :)
_____________________________________________________________________

As promised, I will share with you two ways that I utilized the leftover peanut milk pulp from this morning.

Vegan peanut milk pulp cookies

I used 1/4 cup peanut pulp, 1/4 cup fresh pumpkin puree (canned works too), and a spoonful of peanut butter. I sweetened the dough with 3 spoonfuls of raw brown sugar. I seasoned the dough with a bit of grated nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, a pinch of ground clove, a pinch of freshly grated ginger, and a dash of pure vanilla extract. I heaped ~5 spoonfuls of unbleached wheat flour (add a spoonful at a time until you get a normal cookie dough texture) and added a pinch of baking soda and a pinch of salt. The dough was gently mixed until combined and then I added dark chocolate chunks and pepitas. You could also add flaxseed, sesame seeds, or any other kind of nut or dried fruit. Maple extract or maple syrup would be great in this recipe too. I chilled my cookie dough before I dropped it onto a baking sheet.
raw pumpkin-peanut pulp cookie dough

To my surprise the cookie dough did not spread in the 400 degree oven and so the cookies turned out like biscuits. If you'd prefer thin and crispy cookies opposed to a fat and chewy cookie, use a fork to flatten out the dough before baking.
pumpkin-peanut pulp cookies
I only used half of my peanut pulp for the cookie recipe. I made vegan pumpkin-peanut pulp crackers too!
spiced pumpkin-peanut pulp crackers
To make these, combine pumpkin puree and peanut pulp. Season as you like, I suggest chipotle spice, curry powder, ground pepper, plenty of sea salt, dried sage, thyme, and rosemary. Add a few spoonfuls of wheat flour, mix well, form into a smooth dough ball and let rest in the fridge for a bit (I waited 20 minutes). On a well floured surface roll out the dough until it is cracker thin. Slice up into shapes, prick with a fork (to prevent puffing) and bake for ~15 minutes at 400 degrees in the oven (keep an eye on them, they bake very quickly because they are so thin). These are tremendous on their own but would also be excellent with some homemade nut pulp cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment